Swimming for Pregnancy Fitness
April 4, 2019
Staying healthy during pregnancy is extremely important, both for mother and baby. A well- rounded nutrition and exercise plan can have numerous benefits for a woman’s physical and emotional well-being. However, pregnant women have special concerns that can affect how and when they exercise. Let’s take a look at one of the best all-around physical activities that pregnant women can take part in: swimming.
All women should consult a physician before any exercise. For women cleared by their health care provider, swimming may offer:
- Cardiovascular Benefits – Swimming can provide tremendous cardiovascular benefits, which can include lowered heart rate at rest and during exercise.1
- Greater Relaxation and Quality of Life – It has been shown that pregnant mothers who exercise regularly may experience less depressive symptoms and enjoy greater physical comfort during their pregnancies and births.1
- Better Weight Management – Swimming assists in effective weight management, as it promotes enhanced fat oxidation, a common effect of cardiovascular exercise.
- Reduced Edema or Swelling of the Legs – Although edema (swelling) during pregnancy is normal and caused by the increased production of blood and body fluids to meet the needs of the baby, swimming may help manage it. It has been shown that low-impact aerobic exercise, such as swimming, can reduce back pain and lower extremity edema.1,2
- Improved Stamina and Muscle Tone – Swimming is a very effective cardiovascular activities for participants of all genders and ages. The improved stamina and muscle tone that can result from swimming also can help women maintain a healthy weight after pregnancy.
Preparing for Pregnancy
Along with exercise, diet and nutrition are part of a healthy pregnancy. The best way to set yourself up with the right nutritional foundation is to start with a balanced nutritional supplement such as Prenate®. The Prenate® Vitamin Family uses USP pharmaceutical-grade ingredients that provide mothers with the quality nutrition they need for all stages of the pregnancy. Prenate has been trusted for more than 30 years to help pregnant women address their nutritional needs.