DHA & Pregnancy: The Benefits of DHA for You and Your Baby
November 11, 2014
You’ve heard the saying “everything in moderation.” This holds true for fats as well. Our bodies need fat. There are good fats (omega-3 polysaturated fats) and bad fats (unsaturated trans fats). Before, during and after pregnancy, it is essential that women eat good fats because they have benefits for both mom and baby.
Omega-3 fatty acids have proven benefits for lowering cholesterol and blood pressure. But for pregnant women, DHA, a type of omega-3 fatty acid, can help promote fetal growth and development, cognitive development and visual acuity. Research shows that DHA, which is known as docosahexaenoic acid in the scientific community, benefits baby’s development as well as mother’s health and well-being.
Through the mother’s breast milk, or in the developing fetus, maternal dietary DHA may help provide nutritional support for healthy:
- Cognitive development
- Development of visual acuity
- Fetal growth and development
- Replenishes DHA depleted during pregnancy and lactation
- Provides critical nutrients essential to pregnancy
- May support maintenance of healthy skin, hair and nails
Foods high in DHA include anchovies, herring, sardines and trout. Other seafood, such as tuna and shrimp also have DHA, but in lower levels. But because several types of fish are not recommended for pregnant women, or are recommended only if eaten a few times a week, getting enough DHA with food alone can be a daunting task.
One good way to ensure that you and your baby are getting enough DHA is the Prenate® Vitamin Family, specifically formulated to the nutritional needs of women who are pregnant or thinking about it. Click on the product name below to learn more about its special formulation or to download special savings coupons:
- Prenate DHA® – A prenatal vitamin containing 10 vitamins and minerals including 300 mg DHA, 1 mg folate, calcium, vitamin D3 and iron
- Prenate Mini® – A small, easy-to-swallow softgel with complete prenatal nutrition support, including 350 mg of DHA
- Prenate® Enhance – Advanced prenatal softgel vitamin with 400 mg DHA – the highest level among leading Rx brands − plus highly absorbable forms of folate, 1,000 IU vitamin D3, Formical® calcium, and more
- Prenate® Restore – A softgel vitamin specially designed for the needs of breastfeeding mothers and babies that includes probiotics and 400 mg of DHA to help restore and support GI and immune health