Vitamin Spotlight: Benefits of Prenatal Vitamins with Calcium
December 8, 2014
Many grow up hearing that we need calcium to make our bones strong. The milk industry has forever engrained their catchy taglines into our brains to help drive home the importance of calcium (and vitamin D). But many may not know exactly how much calcium they need or what benefits they get from calcium. For children, teens, adults and women who are pregnant or breastfeeding there are many benefits to having enough calcium. But how much is enough?
How Much Calcium Do I Need?
According to the National Academy of Sciences women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should consume 1,000 mg (milligrams) of calcium each day.1 For pregnant teens, the recommended intake is even higher: 1,300 mg of calcium a day. 1
What Are the Benefits of Calcium?
Calcium has many benefits not related to pregnancy including maintaining bone strength, proper muscle contraction and healthy teeth. Calcium also helps the heart, nerve, muscles and other body systems work properly.2
For women who are pregnant calcium supplementation appears to be beneficial for women at high risk of gestational hypertension.3 Calcium supplementation during pregnancy may lead to a reduction in systolic and diastolic blood pressure and preeclampsia.4
How Do I Ensure I’m Getting Enough Calcium?
A well balanced diet is a great way to ensure you’re meeting your daily calcium intake. Below are some foods high in calcium and the amount you’d need each day to reach the daily recommended intake:
3 ½ 8 oz glasses of skim milk daily
- 8 oz Glass of Skim Milk contains 302 mg of calcium
11 cups of chopped broccoli daily
- 1 cup of chopped broccoli contains 94 mg of calcium
5 oz of provolone cheese daily
- 1 oz of provolone cheese contains 200 mg of calcium
While eating a balanced diet is always recommended, one good way to ensure that you and your baby are getting enough calcium is by supplementing with a vitamin from the Prenate® Vitamin Family, which are specifically formulated to meet the nutritional needs of women who are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant. Click on the product name below to learn more about the benefits of the prenatal vitamins or to download special savings coupons:
- Prenate® Enhance – Advanced prenatal softgel vitamin with 400 mg DHA – the highest level among leading Rx brands − plus highly absorbable forms of folate, 1,000 IU vitamin D3, Formical® calcium, and more
- Prenate® Restore – A softgel vitamin specially designed for the needs of breastfeeding mothers and babies that includes probiotics and DHA to help restore and support GI and immune health.
- Prenate® Chewable – Dutch chocolate flavor chewable prenatal vitamin including high levels of calcium, vitamin D3, 1 mg folate and no vitamin aftertaste
- Prenate Mini® – A small, easy-to-swallow softgel with complete prenatal nutrition support, including 350 mg of DHA
- Prenate DHA® – A prenatal vitamin containing 10 vitamins and minerals including 300 mg DHA, 1 mg folate, calcium, vitamin D3 and iron
- Prenate Elite® – A prenatal vitamin containing 17 vitamins and minerals including 1 mg folate, calcium, vitamin D3 and iron
- Prenate Essential® – A prenatal vitamin containing 13 vitamins and minerals including 300 mg DHA, 40 mg of EPA, 1 mg folate, calcium, vitamin D3 and iron