The Importance of Folic Acid Before & During Pregnancy
November 18, 2014If you are pregnant or thinking about getting pregnant, may have heard that prenatal vitamins with folic acid are important for your baby’s development. However, you may be wondering what aspects of development are impacted by folic acid levels and how much folic acid you and your baby need.
Why is folic acid important for me and my baby?
Folate is a naturally occurring B vitamin found in many foods, including leafy green vegetables, citrus fruits and other vegetables. Folate is so important to our bodies and to a baby’s development that a synthetic, man-made form, called folic acid, is often added to foods. Folic acid is important in helping our bodies make new cells – a process that occurs every day for everyone. For pregnant women, or women who are thinking about becoming pregnant, folic acid may reduce the risk for major birth defects of the brain and spine, such as spina bifida or anencephaly.1
How much folic acid do I need?
Women need at least 400 mcg of folic acid every day, but up to 50 percent of women have an impaired ability to convert the synthetic folic acid into the active folate that our bodies need.2 For these women, Quatrefolic® is an important supplement. Quatrefolic® is a new generation, bioavailable form of folate that helps protect babies from brain and spine defects, even when taken by mothers with an impaired ability to break down folic acid.
How can I ensure that I’m getting enough folic acid for my baby?
Because birth defects of the brain and spine can occur in the first month of pregnancy, women who are thinking about becoming pregnant need to have proper folate levels at least one month prior to becoming pregnant. Taking prenatal vitamins with folic acid daily is perhaps the best way to ensure that you’re getting enough folic acid. Prenate® Mini is an excellent source of Quatrefolic®, as well as 13 other essential nutrients and minerals. In addition, the Prenate® Vitamin Family includes eight other leading prenatal vitamins that are high in folic acid. Click on the product name below to learn more about its special formulation or to download special savings coupons:
- Prenate Mini® – A small, easy-to-swallow softgel with complete prenatal nutrition support, including 350 mg of DHA
- Prenate® Enhance – Advanced prenatal softgel vitamin with 400 mg DHA – the highest level among leading Rx brands − plus highly absorbable forms of folate, 1,000 IU vitamin D3, Formical® calcium, and more
- Prenate® Restore – A softgel vitamin specially designed for the needs of breastfeeding mothers and babies that includes probiotics and DHA to help restore and support GI and immune health
- Prenate Chewable® – Dutch chocolate flavor chewable prenatal vitamin including high levels of calcium, vitamin D3, 1 mg folate and no vitamin aftertaste
- Prenate DHA® – A prenatal vitamin containing 10 vitamins and minerals including 300 mg DHA, 1 mg folate, calcium, vitamin D3 and iron
- Prenate Elite® – A prenatal vitamin containing 17 vitamins and minerals including 1 mg folate, calcium, vitamin D3 and iron